Monday, January 10, 2011

Back...

A LOT has happened since I last blogged. 

For one, 2010 just ended about a week ago...

Where to start? There are so many things that I feel I need to write down but it's obviously not possible due to the sheer amount of stuff I would need to cover.

In point form then...
1) 'A' levels are OVER - no touching books in two years
2) Made a lot of new friends and solidified old friendships
3) Had a great mugging buddy (who I hope I won't lose contact with)
4) Got so infatuated with a girl that I had (and am having) problems forgetting her
5) Became much quieter and moodier

There are so many more random and trivial things that I could add to that list, but essentially that's 2010 in point form... Mugging for prelims and 'A' levels was a bittersweet experience - at times, the 3 am nights and 10 pm pseudo-stayovers in school were hellish, but concurrently, I made so many new friends and matured in thought...  One thing's for sure though - I won't ever forget the experience, and the friends that accompanied me for the two years in RJC.   These two years have been the most memorable years of my schooling life, and regardless of my 'A' level results, RJ will always hold a special place in my memories and my heart.
--

I'm currently situated at the crossroads of life, as cliched as that may sound.  Waiting for 'A' level results and about to enter army.  I'm quite sure I want to take up medicine in uni, but i'm not sure if I should go overseas or stay local.  Hopefully my results will be good.... I really want to get straight 'A's... i'd be crushed if I didn't - not after all those fretful days of frantic mugging...   (omg the other day I dreamt that I failed gp, and I don't often have dreams - could it be a sign?)

Anyway, one considerable pro of staying local for med is that you will probably get better placings when you want to specialise into your disciplines.  Someone told me that in UK you could face discrimination in selecting your specialty, as all the more 'sought-after' specialties may be preferentially given to local students, leaving with less desirable options such as palliative care. (Sure, palliative care is certainly a noble job, but honestly, it's not what I really want...)    Yet, if I go overseas, I would likely broaden my perspectives, lead a more independent life, and thus pick up essential life skills.. Not to mention experiencing a fresh and new method of teaching...

Sure, cost is an issue - but my parents have expressed that they would be willing to bear the higher costs of studying overseas, as long as I receive a better education.   I'm very grateful for that, but at the same time, I also share their view - I think good education is a long term investment.  Little point in saving on a few hundred k in the short run when you could reap back more than just money in the long run...

--

Work today was tirrrriiiiinggggg ><   I think admin work is actually really good training - you gotta think fast and act fast, and be organised at the same time.  Most of today's afternoon was spent in a frantic rush to trace x-rays and reports that time just flew by.... But I must say I kinda enjoy the work.  It's much better than lazing around at home, and i'm getting paid too :)  

The people at RH are nice.  At least some of them are - I can't comment about the rest since I've barely worked there for a week and I don't know them well enough.  Vanessa is probably one of the people who I can relate to better - she's a tpjc graduate who went to australia for her uni.  I think she has pretty good PR and she's also very nice to everyone - in general a very pleasant person to deal with.  Perfect candidate for a PSO hahaha... Bev, cammie and el vera are around my age and also pretty cool.  Bev is very quiet but she's great to talk to once you know her well enough.  Cammie's from ITE.  She's very nice too, but really easily stressed out ><  El vera was at utoronto before this! I hear she's continuing her education in NTU/NUS after her stint at RH...  Very whacky but very cool...  Oh and someone there is quite preetz :):):)

Anyway, I hope I continue to enjoy my work there.  3 more weeks to go if i'm not wrong.

-

Stuff to do:
1) Arrange for tennis with edmund, matt and co.
2) Catch up with OUBCNTR guys

-

Will blog again when I have more to write.

No comments: